I was supposed to sow seeds today. In order to do that, I needed to move a bunch of plants to open up the spots where the seeds would go. After nearly 6 hours of ripping out mint, digging holes, unearthing plants, hauling them up hills, reburying them, and watering them in, I am pooped. And I didn’t start any seeds.
Here’s what I did do. Everything is still dormant, so I’m hopeful they’ll get established in their new spots and continue growing unstunted:
- Sprayed weeds and grass that didn’t get killed the first go round.
- Ripped out the mint under the stairs — two wheelbarrows full! I’m shocked by how much it spread. It was like an infestation.
- Moved pink hydrangea spot vacated by mint.
- Scooted white hydrangea closer to driveway.
- Divided yarrow: moved one division next to white hydrangea, moved one to bed 9 out back, moved a small offshoot next to bee balm on side of house.
- Moved 2 milkweeds (and a 3rd tiny one?) to bed 3 out back.
- Moved 3 echinacea to bed 3 out back.
- Moved 3 clumps of bee balm to bed 9.
- Ripped out the remaining bee balm from front bed.
- Moved 4 baby echinacea to fenced veggie patch so they can be protected from bunnies while they get a little bigger.
- Moved 3 rudbeckia from herb bed out front to bed at top of hill out back.
- Planted 5 liatris corms in butterfuly bush bed.
- Moved Shasta daisy to it’s correct place in the butterfly bush bed.
I’ve got a to-do list at least as long as the one above to get to before I can actually plant the seeds. I’m bummed I couldn’t get more done today since we’re about to have 2 days of rain (and possibly sleet and snow). I guess we’ll have more rain in April, so everything can get watered in then. And this week I’ll try to chip away at my list :-).